Solar panels have revolutionized the way we use energy and would continue to do so. Switching to solar energy offers a number of benefits including savings on your energy bill as well as decreasing your carbon footprint.
These sustainable energy sources do not generally require much maintenance, but would be more efficient when cleaned every once in a while. Here are some important tips which you must keep in mind while cleaning solar panels:
- Since most solar panels are mounted on the roof, climbing the roof to clean them could be dangerous. Be extra careful when cleaning solar panels because your safety should always be your priority.
- Follow the same technique you would do when cleaning glass windows: brush off dry dirt before cleaning them with water.
- A combination of cloth and sponge usually gets rid of most kinds of dirt, but the more stubborn ones might require a brush or plastic scourers.
- Use fresh water for cleaning solar panels. Alternatively, rainwater would work too. Hard water is usually full of minerals that could form a layer of deposit on the panels and make them dirtier than they were before.
- It is best to clean solar panels early in the morning or just before the sun is about to set. Mid-afternoons are the worst time to clean solar panels as it can get very hot outside especially on the roof.
- A garden hose is great for cleaning usual dust deposits, and you can use while standing on the ground for as long as you have strong enough pressure applied to the water coming out of the hose.
- It would be preferable to talk to the solar panel manufacturer before you clean solar panels. They might give you some insights regarding what you should or shouldn’t do. This will also ensure that no mistake will be committed that may affect the warranty coverage of your panels.
Solar panels don’t often require cleaning or maintenance, but a clean solar panel is necessary for optimum and uninterrupted energy supply to your entire household.
Learn more about solar lights for your garden, click here.